The summer is almost over. Then comes the autumns which is my favorite season. But one bad thing about autumn is that your garden is going to fill up with fallen leaves. It might not bother you at first, but then quickly the rain comes in play and makes your outdoor space very dirty. In some cases you might even hesitate to spend some quality time outdoor just because those damn muddy leaves. Quite fortunately for you, we have the solution to all your problems. At least to this one. Come on up on this journey with me selecting the very bests leaf blowers to have a clean and easy autumn!
How to chose a leaf blower?
3 types of blowers
- The blower can be used to clean and remove dead leaves and debris from an alley, a terrace, a lawn… And to group them in heaps. This saves you long sweeping chores and, above all, allows you to easily remove wet leaves that have accumulated on the ground. It can also be very practical for removing dirt stuck in gutters.
- In addition to the blower mode, the vacuum-blower has a function that allows it to suck leaves and debris into a bag.
- The blower-vacuum-shredder also has a shredding system at the inlet of the suction bag which allows the leaves and debris to be shredded … A function that reduces the volume of waste (up to 16 times), and therefore empties the bag less often … But also to reuse the same waste more quickly to make compost.
Some blowers can be transformed into a vacuum cleaner-shredder thanks to suction kits to be purchased separately.
3 types of motorization
Recommended for the cleaning of large areas (from 2000 m² upwards), the thermal models are generally more powerful – with a very high air flow rate – than the electric models. The absence of a supply wire offers great freedom of movement and allows easy passage between trees. On the other hand, they are relatively noisy and emit exhaust gases into the air. They are also generally heavier due to the weight of the engine. Most of them can be carried on the back, which reduces the strain on the arms.
Those with a 2-stroke engine are slightly lighter and less bulky than 4-stroke engines, but they are often noisier. You have to use a mixture of gasoline and oil to run them. On the other hand, 4-stroke engines are quieter, offer less vibration and, above all, are less polluting because they use only super unleaded. Both require a little more maintenance than an electric blower.
Electric motors (mains operated)
Perfect for smaller lots (up to 2000 m²), mains operated electric models are generally lighter, allowing them to be held by hand. On the other hand, they require you to stay close to an electrical outlet and drag a cable behind you, which can quickly become annoying, especially if you have to pass between trees or walk around a building. They are quieter, on the other hand – which is practical for use in the city – and above all, less polluting (no exhaust fumes released into the air). Maintenance is reduced and you only need to push a button to start the machine.
Cordless electric motors (battery-powered)
Ideal for cleaning small areas or picking up small quantities of leaves, the cordless electric models (lithium battery) have the advantage of being light, handy and quiet, while offering increased mobility compared to the wired models. On the other hand, they provide a relatively low flow rate and amount of air, which may sometimes not be enough to loosen wet leaves or clean a lawn. However, if they allow you to work away from a power source, their autonomy is limited to about 40 minutes. It is therefore advisable to have a spare battery already charged as a back-up.
Once you have determined the type of blower and motorization you need, take the time to refine your search by comparing the technical characteristics of each unit.
Backpack or portable?
It all depends on the weight of the machine, keeping in mind that the more powerful the machine is, the heavier it will be… As an indication, an electric snowblower weighs between 3 kg and 6 kg and a thermal snowblower weighs between 4 and 18 kg.
- The lightest models – the portable ones – are held at arm’s length by a handle. They are generally also equipped with a strap to be put on the shoulder to relieve the arm. In this case, check the ergonomics and location of the handle on the machine.
- The heavier ones are carried on the back with a harness, which must of course be comfortable and adjustable. Some models are also equipped with casters attached to the end of the suction tube, which make it easier to guide the blower, lighten the weight to be supported on the arms and prevent the tube from wearing out by rubbing on the floor.
- For electric blowers, it is expressed in Watts and varies between 1000 and 2500 W depending on the model.
- For thermal, it is expressed in cm3 or cc (cubic capacity). It generally varies between 25 and 50 cm3 but some professional machines can reach more than 70 cm3.
NB: In order to meet the new standards, manufacturers have developed more environmentally friendly internal combustion engines that significantly reduce exhaust gas emissions.
The 5 best leaf blower
- Class leading air volume at 441 CFM for excellent debris movement
- Lightweight (only 8.6 lbs) & well-balanced for comfortable use and less fatigue
- 23.9 cc Commercial grade 2-stroke engine for outstanding power & longer life
- Industry leading warranty- 7-year consumer use, 2-year commercial use, 1-year rental use
- Produces an impressive air velocity of 170 MPH (with taper nozzle)
- Large two-finger throttle lever for easier operation; Fuel Tank Capacity: 17.6 fl. oz.
- Features PureFire low emission 2-stroke engine technology for a better environment
- NOTE: Refer User Guide on Technical Specification before use
- Powerful airflow upto 450 cfm for quick cleanup of leaves and debris
- Powerful air speed upto 140 mph
- 2 speed control for light cleanup around flower beds or for powering through tough debris
- Lightweight, compact design is easy to use with less fatigue
- Cord retention prevents accidental unplugging
- Built in scraper to remove stuck leaves or debris
- Up to 450 CFM of air volume and up to 125 Mph with concentrator
- Innovative axial fan design that maximizes on air output and run time
- Low noise during operation – 66 dB(A), ideal for noise sensitive regions and properties
- High-efficiency brushless motor helps extend run time and motor life
- Lightweight and ergonomic design allows for easy control and arm movement
- X-TORQ ENGINE: The X-Torq engine design reduces harmful exhaust emissions by up to 60 Percent and increases fuel efficiency by up to 20 Percent
- UTILIZE FULL BLOW FORCE WITH MINIMAL ARM STRAIN: The offset handle makes the blow forces easier to control by preventing the arm from being pulled downwards
- HIGH BLOWING CAPACITY: The powerful and easy to start X-Torq engine in combination with efficient fan design delivers high air speed and air flow.Maximum power speed:8100 rpm
- AIR PURGE: Removes air from carburetor and fuel system for easy starting
- Powerful commercial-style backpack blower designed for demanding tasks. X-Torq engine for excellent performance, good fuel economy and low emissions. High air speed combined with large air flow gives sufficient capacity for most jobs
#5 Greenworks 40V 185 MPH Variable Speed Cordless Leaf Blower/Vacuum, 4.0Ah Battery and Charger Included
- Brushless motor provides your tool with longer run-time, more torque and more power. This leads to less wear and tear, extending the life-time of the tool
- Variable speed offers up to 185 mph to make clean up of major debris easy and efficient.No-Load Speed (RPM). Ideal For – 1/4 Acre
- Blower/Vac capability provides a versatile use to get your yard work done without the need for multiple tools
- Powerful enough to handle wet and dry leaves
- Compatible ONLY with GreenWorks G-MAX 40V Battery models, 29472 and 29462 and G-MAX Charger model 29482.Note: 40V G-MAX and 40V Lithium-Ion Batteries are not cross compatible