They are the new technology hype when it comes to grills and outdoor cooking. Should you buy one? Are they better than propane or charcoal grills? We have studied them carefully to give you an answer to these questions. To learn about the state of the art of the infrared grills, keep reading! You are up to a tasty journey.
What are the advantages of infrared grills?
Infrared grills are now available to everyone. In the past they used to be exclusively used by professional in restaurants or outside in events organization. Not anymore, they are now available to us, normal people and that is great. They are especially appreciated thanks to four main features:
- Infrared grills deliver uniform heat. It means you won’t get hotspots and your food will get perfectly cooked.
- They get hot more quickly than their propane and charcoal counterparts.
- It is easier to get the right temperature.
- As they involve less air convection to cook food, food will retain more moist and stay tender.
Those are pretty good points but infrared grills also have drawbacks. Here are some weaker points listed:
- Infrared grills tend to be more expensive. It really depends on the model, but high end infrared grills are somewhat a professional tool, so price comes accordingly
- Infrared grills are a bit more difficult to clean and to set up.
- Infrared grills can be a little bit fragile, so if you plan on using it when you go camping, chose a stronger model that can withstand the challenge.
How to chose an infrared grill: they main points to pay attention to.
To main points here. First the cooking surface. It depends on your need but you want the heating surface to be as adapted to your needs as possible. Too big, you will waste on energy (gas, electricity), too small you will end up cooking a long time to get food for everyone of your guests. The shape of the cooking area is also important but really depends on what you like and how you are used to cook.
Second, as one of the main benefits of infrared grills is the heat uniform distribution, you want to pay attention to the heat repartition of the grills. Not all grills are born equal to that aspect.
Easiness to use
As the use of the grill is often linked to a moment of relaxation and enjoyment, it is important that using your grill stays a pleasant moment. Some infrared grills can get complicated to use or to set up. Simplicity comes with less features but can be a good point when you chose your grill. In the following selection, we only selected simple to install grills.
Some grills are pretty impressive. If you suffer from shortage of space at home, be careful of the size of the grill. But size does not seem to matter a lot i terms of quality, we have selected some very good infrared grills which are not too big.
Type of grill
Three type of energy are available for infrared grills. You need to chose between electricity, propane and natural gas. We did not find a big difference in performances between those different types so chose the most convenient for your specific case.
Those high end grills can have interesting features that can simplify a lot your life. To our opinion an integrated thermometer and electronic ignition (for gas grills) are no-brainers. Side burners can be useful to keep your dishes warm or to cook vegetables and side dishes, but it comes at the price of size.
Top 7 infrared grills in 2020:
This bbq gets hot quickly , and the infra-red does the job fast . Steak and burgers get nicely charred . Cleaning is easy , just let the grill clean itself by leaving the burners on for 10 minutes or so after cooking the meat and the grill can then be brushed free from the ash . I cooked thick slices of onions on these grills , and they stayed together , and can’t fall through the grill .
Assembly was easy , I did it on our picnic table , then put it on the patio to fasten the actual fire box and lid
- STEAKHOUSE MEALS IN 120 SECONDS | Enjoy the Charred, Crispy Crust & Tender, Juicy Bite of a Professionally Prepared Steak at Home | Outdoor Propane-Powered Infrared Grill Reaches a Blazing 1500°F in Seconds, Just Like a Steakhouse Broiler | Great for Cooking Steak, Chicken, Pork, Fish, Seafood & Other Gourmet Dishes
- PROPANE-POWERED FOR PORTABILITY | Compatible with Most Standard Low-Pressure Butane, LPG & Propane Gas Cylinders | Infrared Oven Instantly Heats to Optimal Temperature Via Battery-Powered Automatic Ignition & Easy Gas Control Knob | Perfect for Camping, Tailgating, Backyard Barbecues, Patio, Deck & More
- SLEEK STAINLESS STEEL CONSTRUCTION | Housing & Parts are Made of Super Durable Food-Grade Stainless Steel | Includes  Removable Grill Racks for Preparing Steaks at Varying Temperatures, Drip Tray, Protective Cover & Shelf Hook for Safely Sliding Out Trays While Cooking | Stabilizing Feet Keep Grill Steady on Any Surface
- CONVENIENT BUILT-IN WARMING TRAY | Innovative Design Includes a Removable Top Pan for Keeping Cooked Food Hot Prior to Serving | Minimal Maintenance & Quick Cleaning with Parts That Easily Remove for Hand Washing | Set Also Includes a Perfect Fit Cover Reliable Protection During Travel
- SEARED PERFECTION WITHOUT THE STRESS | No More Dangerous Flames or Chewy, Dried Out Steaks! | Revolutionary Infrared Grill is Exceedingly Safe & Churns Out Perfect Filet Mignon, Ribeye, New York Strip & Other Meat in Minutes | Place Steak on Rack & Cook 1 Minute on Each Side for Mouthwatering Medium Rare Results!
- Extreme 1600℉ Flash Heating – This innovative 10,000 BTU propane gas grill can raise the temperature to 1600℉ within 2 minutes with its Radiant Technology, the extreme temperatures will cook the steak, ribeyes within 5 mins. You can enjoy sizzling your shrimp, skewers, salmon fillets in seconds. It can cook anything with the simple move “in and out”, you can always stay home and enjoy a picnic.
- Light, Portable,Compact Design – The stainless steak grill weights 26.5 lbs, making it lightweight and small enough to fit in a compact car with dimension 17.91“(L)*12.99”(W)*11.81“(H). The comfortable carrying handle makes it easy to take anywhere. Vertical heating cooking cavity is expanded to 11.8“(L)*12.7”(W)*7.8“(H). Equipped with 1 pcs grille-11.8″(L)*10.2″(W) and 2 pcs trays-12.2″(L)*8.3″(W) for drippings and oil /12.4″(L)*8.46″(W) for warming cooked foods.
- Patented Adjustable Grill & Easy to Clean – The outdoor gas grill comes without grill racks but with patented adjustable grill height in 5 layers so the grille and trays can be adjusted flexibly in height and fits even the largest porterhouse steak. The portable & durable outdoor camping grill crafted with food-grade #304 stainless steel,clean and dishwasher-friendly.
- Easy Handling & Quick Installation Options – Camplux propane infrared steak grill is quick and easy to use with the pilot ignition system. 1 PC 1.5V AA battery required but not included ( Make it Positive Outward ). You can hooks up to a standard 20lb propane cylinder quickly or connect to standard RV propane directly, you can also convert to 1 lb tanks for tailgating with Camplux customized adapter ( Not included from the package but available from Camplux Amazon store-Model No. T4-C.
- Extensive Steakhouse at Home – The outdoor propane gas grill has an extensive applications, not limited to steak, you can also cook brazilian picanha,chicken thighs & kabobs,pork,sandwiches, nachos,enchiladas,hamburgers,fish,burgers and vegetables and more. This propane infrared grill can be used in the backyard for hosting parties, cooking at the park, or serving up a hot meal when camping.
Feeding that large crew is no problem, with Magma’s completely redesigned Monterey 2 Classic Gourmet Series Gas Grill. This grill, large enough to provide a banquet for the hungriest crew, is a finely crafted piece of hardware with features usually only found in backyard grills. New features include; rounded edges for an elegant look, a dynamic combustion system which keeps the grill lit even in heavy winds, and a dependable electronic ignition system. Made in the U.S.A. and constructed entirely of 18-9 mirror polished stainless steel to withstand even the harshest environments. The primary and secondary grilling surface gives you the option of searing, slow cooking, or warming. Comes equipped with fold-away table top legs for go anywhere use, and a hermetically sealed thermometer. The swiveling control/valve regulator, designed to use 1lb. disposable propane fuel canisters, allows for quick, safe fuel canister exchanges or easily adapt grill to existing on-board low pressure propane (LPG) or Natural gas (CNG) fuel systems. “Heavy Duty” mounting hardware is recommended. Magma mounts, serving shelf, and fuel canisters sold separately.
- Boasts the infrared cooking system reaches an incredible 1500°F, serves up steakhouse-quality steaks about 2 min per side. Matched a cast-iron griddle to achieve multi-tasking cooking
- 6-notches in the grill rack determined the grate’s proximity to the infrared heat source, offer different heat zones for meat, seafood, and veggies.
- Gives you multiple connection options, built-in a standard 3/8” male flare fitting in the valve and regulator. It allows you to connect any 3/8” female flare hose to a big propane tank.
- Opening the front panel that can temporarily place freshly cooked food during the cooking process. Covering the front panel to keep the internal of the grill clean when you are not using it.
- Pass CSA certified, safety use for outdoor backyard grilling, RV traveling, camping. Constructed of premium 304 stainless steel, sturdy and rustproof, easily clean after usage.
Infrared grills have very interesting features. They might not be for everyone but, don’t dismiss this option if you are looking for a good grill for this summer. They tend to be a little bit more expansive than other grills like charcoal or propane grill, but they deliver restaurant-grade performance. Check out our shortlist you will surely find the infrared grill that suits your need. If not, let us know!