Weather is warming up, summer is almost there. You wanna check your outdoor gear to be ready for the hot season. The canopy is an essential element of your outdoor equipment. You forget about it, but without it you are hot, burned and outdoor is not so fun. This summer, you and your family deserve the most efficient sun protection. Follow our guide to learn more about the best canopies money can buy in 2020.
What is a canopy?
Simply put a canopy is a tent without any floor or wall. Its main function is to protect from rain and sun just like a pergola but in a movable way. It is often used in camping but it can also be a valuable shelter for your garden. Canopies come in various shapes, size, material, color so it primarily depends on your taste and need. But there are several common points that you want to check before buying.
What are the main types of canopies?
The most obvious way to categorize canopies is by their final use and thus by their weight and build. Two main use of canopies are:
- Static/ heavy canopies: these are intended for a static use. You install them for the summer and do not move them afterwards unless in case of intense wind or some exceptional event. Those are heavier but stronger, and can bear pretty strong conditions. They are not conceived for a fast installation and are not easily movable. They tend to be more expensive than their lightweight counterpart.
- Lightweight canopies: those are for more nomadic use such as camping or events organization. Light canopies are easy to set up, in second for some of them, light, transportable cheap but they tend to be more fragile and they will certainly not last as long as heavier ones.
What are canopies made of?
Steel : sturdy but heavy.
If you are looking for durability, you want to chose a steel canopy. It is the material used for static canopies. It is stronger than aluminum but rusts. If more high-maintenance than aluminium but with proper care, stainless steel will last.
The main quality of aluminium is its weight. Thanks to its lightness, aluminium frames are easier to assemble but keep in mind that aluminium tend to lose its original shape through time and strain. So aluminium frames tend to be less durable.
It is a broadly used type of plastic. It is water resistant and pretty durable. It is the option we prefer because you get more value for the price.
To our opinion polyethylene is worse than polyester in almost every situation. But this alone should not decide of which model you chose
Beware, vinyl is often not the cover material but a coating (often of a polyester fabric). It augments the waterproof, UV-protection and fire-protecting capacity but it comes at the cost of e little bit more weight.
The weight is not so clear when it comes to canopy. It really really really depends on what you will use the canopy for. If you need it for camping : the lighter the better. On the contrary if you want to have a nice protected area in your garden, get a strong but heavy canopy that will withstand the usual wind.
Top 3 best canopy 2020
Best Canopy 2020 : Keymaya 10’x10′ Ez Pop Up Canopy Tent Commercial Instant Shelter
Weight: 58.7 pounds
- Transportation bag with wheels making it easy to move
- Adjustable height with proprietary technology with thumb button height adjuster. One person can adjsut the height
- Safety button for one person installation
- Velcro walls
- Truss bars with brackets
This canopy won’t let you down. It is strongly build and it has some very interesting features not seen in most of its competitors.
The height buttons and safe buttons makes it easy for one person to set this canopy up by himself. This alone is a killer-point. Good in sun or rain, thanks to its waterproof and UV UPF 50+ coated cover, you get a real protection in all the condition. It adapts well to any situation with three different height settings : 89. 3 inch, 93. 7 inch and 97. 2 inch. It is also CPAI-84 fire retardant certificated so you care light up fire without stress you are under good protection.
If you heed a heavy duty canopy go for it and buy yourself a Keymaya 10’x10′ Ez Pop Up Canopy Tent Commercial Instant Shelter
Best value canopy 2020 : CROWN SHADES 13ft.x13ft. Pop up Canopy One
Type: Lightweight canopy
Weight: 35 pounds
- Single person set up thanks to proprietary patented technology.
- Steel frame construction
- UPF 50+
- 150D Oxford fabric
The crown shades canopies exists in two sizes : 10ft x 10ft or 13ft x 13ft, for 8 or 12 people. It has several very interesting features, but the main selling point here is the “central hub” one person setup technology. Crown shades own a patent on this features and it makes a huge difference with other products on the market. The easiness of use makes it possible for a huge variety of use cases like setting up a party out of nowhere, like on the beach or in the forest, or even organizing social event at your company. It is sold with a bag, but without wheels. We yould have preferred it came with wheels.
If you need a lightweight canopy, the CROWN SHADES 13ft.x13ft. Pop up Canopy One is a good choice.
- SUN PROTECTION: UVGuard material offers UPF 50+ sun protection
- QUICK SETUP: In as fast as 3 minutes
- 1-PIECE FRAME: Folds down for compact storage
- COMFORT GRIP: Locks shelter into place for pinch-free pole extending
- BUILT TO LAST: Double-thick fabric stands up to the elements season after season; ground stakes and pre-attached guy lines withstand strong winds
- DIMENSIONS: 10 x 10 ft. canopy for 100 sq. ft. of shade; 9 ft. 4 in. center height
- WHEELED CARRY BAG: Included for easy storage
- 1-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
This very light canopy might seem fragile at first sight but when you look closely at it you will find a sturdy, easy to install light canopy. Sure it might not be the strongest canopy but it does a great job providing shelter from sun and rain for a reasonable price and not much energy to set up. So this canopy is a very good surprise and is an interesting alternative to the previous one. It exists in two sizes : 10×10 and 12 x 12 and is sold with a carrying bag with wheels which is a good point. If you go camping and want a very light canopy, co for it and buy the Coleman Instant Canopy